How Do I Hire a Foreign Employee?
Through the Department of Labor’s Foreign Labor Certification Program, U.S. employers can hire foreign workers on a permanent or temporary basis. However, the process can be a bit complex. To hire a foreign worker, you need to apply for certification through the DOL. To do this you need to:
- Determine that a job vacancy meets the criteria specified for the foreign labor certification program
- Complete the proper ETA form
- Guarantee that the candidate will be paid a prevailing wage or higher
- Sign the ETA form, stating that all requirements for hiring and employing a foreigner will be bet
- Mail the completed form and required documents to the appropriate DOL office
Once you have received the certification from the DOL, you can recruit and interview employees. Once you find and hire the ideal candidate, it is also your responsibility to obtain a visa for the prospective employee. Note that just because you received certification through the DOL, it does not guarantee that you will receive a visa.